Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First things first:
Lets get the Vegemite out of the way, shall we?

Vegemite is yeast spread. It looks like Nutella or some other yummy chocolate spread, however, I assure you that there is nothing sweet about this substance. It has an overpowering sharp, bitter taste that demands respect in terms of how you consume this concoction. That is not to say that it is without its merits. According to the label, it is one of the best sources of B vitamins of any food on the planet. I'll have to take their word for it.

How not to eat Vegemite

What is wrong with this picture, you ask? Vegemite, is, indeed, spread on toast. So that seems right. However, I have spread it too thick on the bread. It should be hardly visible, like the way snowflakes settle faintly on the lawn after a snow flurry. Chomping into a dense layer of yeast gook such as the one shown here was ill advised. My verdict was swift and unequivocal.

"It tastes like poo."

I'll try again tomorrow with a third of the dollop and an underlying shmere of butter. From what I understand, with the proper tweaking, it can eventually be palatable.

No comments: