Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm blogging from St. Kilda Library today. The free wifi available in this library is the slowest I've used since I visited an Internet cafe in Sanliurfa, Turkey nine years ago. That place refunded my money because the dial-up they were using was so slow that Yahoo mail hadn't finished loading up my Inbox after 30 minutes of watching it trickle in, byte by byte. But I digress.

Back here in St. Kilda, I turned off the laptop's built-in wifi and instead plugged in my 3G wireless broadband adapter Ilana and I got for free for signing up for a $69 cellphone plan at the "3" cellphone company. It's working very well, indeed.

Anyway, earlier today, a Qantas 747 aircraft flying from Hong Kong to Melbourne had to make an emergency landing in Manila after a sudden decompression occurred mid-flight. Here's a quote from a passenger taken from one of the articles about the incident:

"Speaking from the Manila airport, Melbourne woman Dr June Kane says she heard a loud bang from underneath the plane, and saw debris fly through the cabin.

'I'm looking at the plane now and on the left hand side, just forward of the wing, there's a gaping hole from the wing to the underbody,' she said.

'It's about two metres by four metres and there's baggage hanging out so you assume that there's a few bags that may have gone missing.'"

I know these things happen, but I'm glad the plane landed safely and I am just hoping nothing like this happens on the flight when our cats are airlifted to Australia three months from now. They put them in the cargo bays, too. Imagine the horror!

No comments: