Sunday, July 20, 2008

Short post today. It deserves elaboration, but I'm just going to put out there that I've found Australians to be friendly beyond explanation and generally happy people. One anecdote: On the same trip to Brighton that got me those car pics from my earlier post, I witnessed two girls in their early teens skipping gleefully down the sidewalk. Not a skip here and there but unrelenting, long-distance skipping from the moment I glimpsed them out of the side window of the car to the moment they disappeared from view behind me - a good twenty seconds, with no end in sight. Clearly, Skippy is not just a bush kangaroo. I'd have taken video footage had I not been driving. I haven't seen such a blatant gesture of childhood innocence since I bought a glass of lemonade from a group of children on Nantucket in the summer of 2005.

No comments: